Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Hold You Down

So I said I'd make more of an effort to share & showcase some of the tunes I'm loving and listening to these days...here goes!

Whether you know the name or not, you very likely know their voices, because Nina Sky have been on some pretty big records in their time. Move Ya Body, Hold You Down...well, I guess that might be about it(!?), but still, those are 2 big songs in my book!! As I think about it, what's most appealing about their sound is that it immediately reminds me of New York...which, I suppose makes sense since they are from Queens.


Anyways, Nina Sky kind of disappeared for a period, but they have resurfaced recently with a new EP called 'The Other Side'...and their sound has definitely grown a bit. While I'm not enthralled by every song on the EP, they DO have some great stuff on there.

It's nice to hear their Sagat-borrowing "Funk Dat" rendition ("You Ain't Got It,") and "Only You" is a good one also. But the real hit on this EP is "Beautiful People." Just some feel-good party stuff...kinda like what put them on the map in the first place. I can only hope that DJs aren't sleeping on this one, especially in New York.

NOTE: I've posted the video version for download. The EP features a different version, but this is the one you want.

Nina Sky - Beautiful People

No comments: